Re: [Re: Feathered/scaly theropods: trying to make the point.]

Luc J. "Aspidel" BAILLY wrote:

> --- Could it be possible to get coexistence of feathers and scales in
> Maniraptorans, Segnosaurs, _Oviraptor_, _Ornitholestes_...?

I'm not sure I understand your meaning, but the recently discussed unidentified
Chinese feathered dromaeosaur specimen (potentially referable to
_Sinornithosaurus_) sported not only a generous array of feathers of various
morphologies over nearly the whole body, but also tubercular scales on the feet
(as you can see in the _Nature_ article) which are described as being like
those on the bottom of a chicken's foot.  In other words, the specimen displays
a very bird-like arrangement of feathers and scales.

> --- May we imagine large maniraptorans like _Utahraptor_ less feathered, or
> almost naked, or, if possible coexistence of feathers and scales, almost
> scaly?

We may imagine whatever we like.  Question: what is meant by the term "almost
scaly"?

By the way, when feathers are secondarily lost, it is entirely possible that
naked, wrinkled or bumpy skin is what remains.  Look at ostrich legs and bird
necks.  (Scary, huh)?

-- Ralph W. Miller III   ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu

_Confuciusornis_ says: "For a non-avialean, you don't look half bad!"