Re: Combined answer: Feathered/scaly theropods: trying to make the point.

David Marjanovic wrote-

> BTW, *Santanaraptor*, *Scipionyx* and AFAIK *Pelecanimimus* come from
> environments that didn't preserve the uppermost skin layer(s) with all its
> appendages. Therefore all skin from there appears naked.

Santanaraptor really did have naked skin around the pelvic and hindlimb
area, if feathers were present, they would have been preserved.  Most of the
so-called skin of Pelecanimimus is actually internal tissue, only a part of
the throat pouch is actually known to be covered with naked skin.  Of
course, there's always Czerkas and Martin's claim that scales are preserved
on it, but I don't trust it.  Scipionyx has no preserved integument.

Mickey Mortimer