RE: [Combined answer: Feathered/scaly theropods: trying to make the point.]

Strange considering that a few of those would have likely been been somewhat
fuzzy. Incidentally where in Liaoning were they found? Anywhere near the
"fuzzy" dinosaurs?

___________________________

> Fossils from China are usually published in Chinese geology magazines and
> suchlike. The new specimen of *Monjurosuchus*, however (the first one was
> found in the 30s during the Japanese occupation), was published in the
> relatively available Vertebrata PalAsiatica one or two years ago. I could
> find the ref in the university library. The photo in that paper is really
> beautiful -- a lizardlike normal-snouted champsosaur with patches of
scales.

> Other bird finds from there? *Changchengornis*... *Liaoningornis*...
> *Songlingornis*... *Chaoyangia*... IIRC *Sinornis*... and the more
recently
mentioned ones that may amount to 10 or so. All covered in whatever types of
feathers.

+++++++++++++++++++

Again, how close were any of these finds to, say, _Beipiaosaurus_ or
_Sinosauropteryx_?

Heck, how close was that _Psittacosaurus_ to these guys?<<

Yes, Psittacosaurus specimens have come from the SAME quarry, along with
Confuciusornis and Eoenantiornis. Fish, etc.

Check out...

Wang, Xiaolin, Yuanqing Wang, Yuan Wang, Xing Xu, Zhilu Tang, Fuchen Zhang,
Yaoming HU, Gang Gu and Zhaolin Hao, 1998. Stratigraphic sequence and
vertebrate-bearing beds of the lower part of the Yixian Formation in Sihetun
and neighboring area, Western Liaoning, China. Vertebrata PalAsiatica,
Volume 36, Number 2: 81-101.The

The formation itself it huge and extends well past Liaoning and these
'feathered' birds are found in Mongolia!

Tracy