Re: [Combined answer: Feathered/scaly theropods: trying to make the point.]

archosaur@usa.net wrote-

> As such, I consider all dinosaurs
> to be scaly animals by default and that positive evidence is required to
state
> anything otherwise. _Caudipteryx_ is such evidence and I don't contest
it's
> featheredness. NGMC 91 might fall in there as well (I'd count
> _Protarchaeopteryx robusta_ as well, but last I checked, it was considered
> avian). The evidence for the other three is less conclusive for reasons I
> mentioned in a previous post.

Hah!  Protarchaeopteryx avian!?  You've been reading too much Martin my
friend.  Protarchaeopteryx is some type of basal maniraptoran, either a
basal paravian or a basal segnosaur-oviraptorosaur.  My latest analysis
suggests the latter, possibly closer to oviraptorosaurs.  See
http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/2001Jan/msg00263.html for my
arguements against Martin and Czerkas' claims Protarchaeopteryx is a bird,
among other amusing theories.  Also see
http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/2000Dec/msg00647.html for my
discussion of what the consensus is for Protarchaeopteryx's phylogeny.

Mickey Mortimer