Re: [Combined answer: Feathered/scaly theropods: trying to make the point.]

<I consider all dinosaurs to be scaly [as opposed to feathered] animals by
default and that positive evidence is required to state anything otherwise.
_Caudipteryx_ is such evidence and I don't contest it[]s featheredness.>

I think my emendation accords with your point.

It's possible to disagree with each of the following statements:
First, all animals with feathers are closely related.
Second, if one or more of a group of closely related animals have feathers,
then all other animals in the group had feathers.  (This assumes it is
possible to determine conclusively that the animals are closely related by
ancestry, using characters not limited to feathers.)

Related animals (keeping the assumption that relationship can be
conclusively determined) without feathers might have either lost them
secondarily or be closely related to but separate from the part of the group
that first developed feathers (also keeping the assumption that all animals
with feathers are closely related).

I think you are disagreeing with both assertions given above; just want to
be sure.