Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: POLITICALLY INCORRECT UTAH DINOSAURS!

    Phil Brunette described:

    "...There are some very well preserved tracks and it appears to have been a site that the dino's visited often since there are multiple layers of impressions suggesting yearly visits.... or migrations perhaps?"

    It might be interesting to do a study to try and determine whether the several substrate levels where the dinosaurs walked have even the slightest of color difference -- as contrasts with layers in between -- that might suggest the specific time of year in which the deduced migrations might have occurred.  For example, in some palro-environments it it has been speculated that layers laid down in winter tend to be somewhat darker, perhaps due to deposition of vegetable matter now visible as a carbon residue.

    Did anyone notice color differences where the track-bearing substrates are visible in cross-section?  If so, did the tracks tend to predominate in darker or lighter layers?

Phil further commented:

    "Of the 100s of footprints ranging...from several inches to about 18 inches... there were only two spots which might be tail drag.  They appear on one trackway cluster (many foot imprints of multiple animals) and within approx 8 feet of each other.  Maybe one animal with a broken tail or injured leg?"

    Phil (or others who have been there), did you notice whether the possible tail drag marks occur along the approximately central line of a trackway?  If so, the tail drag explanation becomes a lot more convincing, regardless of whether it was due to injury, sinking into mud, or whatever.  If not, then all bets are off.

    Ray Stanford