Re: [Re: Feathered/scaly theropods: trying to make the point.]

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Demetrios M. Vital wrote:

> So the occasional messenger is screwing up the message.  Don't take it out
> on the message.  I don't see many people outside of artistic liscensing
> (i.e. some drawings) putting feathers on Allosaurus, with this new evidence
> here, at least.

Note: phylogenetic bracketing is, AFAIK, amibiguous on the issue of
_Allosaurus_ and other carnosaurs having feathery integument. They share
more recent ancestry with animals known to have feathery integument than
they do with the non-feathery _Carnotaurinae_, as can be seen in this
abridged cladogram:

--+--Ceratosauria (including Carnotaurinae)
  `--+--Carnosauria
     `--Coelurosauria (including Clade(Sinosauropteryx + Passer))

So it's perfectly possible that they had feathery integument (although
true feathers would be quite dubious). It is also perfectly possible that
they had none whatsoever. We just don't know, nor is one side necessarily
more likely than the other.

What I wouldn't give for a non-coelurosaurian Liaoning theropod....
T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>
       Yahoo! Messenger        <Mighty Odinn>