RE: Heilmann and furculas

From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of Henri Rönkkö

And then, I would like to know if these "clavicles" from Oviraptor and the theropod Camp found (it would also be nice to know what theropod this was) were real furculas or just usual clavicles. I believe clavicles are primitive character of Tetanurans.

Actually, Tykowski's disseration on Syntarsus describes the presence of a furcula in that form, and probable Coelophysis furculae have been identified by Downs.  This, combined with the fact that the Carnotaurus clavicle element is damaged and the symphsis is not accessible strongly supports the idea that furculae, rather than unpaired clavicles, are the basal condition for Neotheropoda (ceratosaurs plus tetanurines).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
Department of Geology           Director, Earth, Life & Time Program
University of Maryland          College Park Scholars
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite
Phone:  301-405-4084    Email:  tholtz@geol.umd.edu
Fax (Geol):  301-314-9661       Fax (CPS-ELT): 301-405-0796