Dinosaur Genera List corrections #165

Here is a tidal wave of four new dinosaurs, part of that dinosaur-genera
flood that I mentioned in a previous DGL corrections, all resulting from a
single book that was released just last week:

Tanke, Darren H. & Carpenter, Kenneth, eds., 2001. Mesozoic Vertebrate Life:
New Research inspired by the Paleontology of Philip J. Currie, Indiana
University Press, Bloomington & Indianapolis, Indiana: xviii + 542 pp.

This is a "must have" book for all dinosaur aficionados. It can now be
ordered through Amazon or from Indiana University Press. Its existence is
being kept secret from Phil Currie, but the surprise may already be blown by
the book's listing at the Amazon and Indiana University Press websites.
Nevertheless, I've removed Phil's email addresses from my address list for
this post, so if he hears of this book before receiving his surprise copy in
Alberta next week, it won't be from me (heh heh); as far as I know, Phil is
not on the dinosaur list.

Dinosaur genus #909 comes from the following article in the book:

Coria, Rodolfo A., 2001. "New Theropod from the Late Cretaceous of
Patagonia," article 1 of Tanke & Carpenter, eds., 2001: 3-9.

Quilmesaurus Coria, 2001

And we add the following entry to the South American dinosaurs list in the
forthcoming Mesozoic Meanderings #3 second printing:

Quilmesaurus Coria, 2001
    Q. curriei Coria, 2001â

This is a medium-size theropod of uncertain affinities from the Allen
Formation (Campanian-Maastrichtian) of Argentina, known mainly from
distinctive hind limb material.

Dinosaur genus #910 is described in the following article:

Tidwell, Virginia, Carpenter, Kenneth & Meyer, Susanne, 2001. "New
Titanosauriform (Sauropoda) from the Poison Strip Member of the Cedar
Mountain Formation (Lower Cretaceous), Utah," article 11 of Tanke &
Carpenter, eds., 2001: 139-165.

Venenosaurus Tidwell, Carpenter & Meyer, 2001

And we add the following entry to the North American dinosaurs list in the
forthcoming Mesozoic meanderings #3 second printing:

Venenosaurus Tidwell, Carpenter & Meyer, 2001
    V. dicrocei Tidwell, Carpenter & Meyer, 2001â

This is a smallish titanosauriform of uncertain affinities, perhaps a derived
brachiosaurid, based on a partial skeleton including mainly limb elements and
distinctive caudal vertebrae. A juvenile of this genus may also be known, but
is not described in this article.

Dinosaur genus #911 is described in:

DiCroce, Tony & Carpenter, Kenneth, 2001. "New Ornithopod from the Cedar
Mountain Formation (Lower Cretaceous) of Eastern Utah," article 13 of Tanke &
Carpenter, eds., 2001: 183-196.

Planicoxa DiCroce & Carpenter, 2001

And add the following to the list of North American dinosaurs in MM #3 second
printing:

Planicoxa DiCroce & Carpenter, 2001
    P. venenica DiCroce & Carpenter, 2001â

This is a medium-size ?iguanodontid based on a type ilium and numerous
referred specimens (girdle and limb elements and vertebrae) found in
association in a single quarry ("Tony's Bone Bed").

Dinosaur genus #912 is described in:

Dong Zhiming, 2001. "Primitive Armored Dinosaur from the Lufeng Basin,
China," article 17 of Tanke & Carpenter, eds., 2001: 237-242.

Bienosaurus Dong, 2001

And add the following to the list of Asiatic dinosaurs in MM #3 second
printing:

Bienosaurus Dong, 2001
    B. lufengensis Dong, 2001â

Based mainly on a right lower jaw with teeth, this genus is classified in
Scelidosauridae, and the family Scelidosauridae is removed from "basal
Thyreophora" and referred to the taxon Ankylosauria (i.e., along with
Nodosauridae, Ankylosauridae, and Polacanthidae). It is from the Dark Red
Beds of the Lower Lufeng Formation.

There is some theropod taxonomy concerning Laelaps trihedrodon in the
following article:

Chure, Dan, 2001. "On the Type and Referred Material of Laelaps trihedrodon
Cope 1877 (Dinosauria: Theropoda)," article 2 of Tanke & Carpenter, eds.,
2001: 10-18.

Dan notes that the species was referred to the genus Hypsirophus as H.
trihedrodon in unpublished work by Cope, and to the genus Creosaurus as C.
trigonodon [sic] by Osborn in 1931. Both of these referrals will be added to
the entry for Dryptosaurus trihedrodon in MM #3 second printing. Dan supports
referral of this species to the genus Allosaurus as a nomen dubium but stops
short of synonymizing it with Allosaurus fragilis.

In the article

Molnar, Ralph E., 2001. "Theropod Paleopathology: A Literature Survey,"
article 24 of Tanke & Carpenter, eds., 2001: 337-363.

Molnar uses the family name Acrocanthosauridae for the genera Acrocanthosaurus
 and Carcharodontosaurus. This is the first use of this name as far as I know.

The volume also includes two new footprint species:

Aquatilavipes curriei ichnosp. nov. (a bird track)

Tricorynopus brinkmani ichnosp. nov. (a mammal track)

which I list here mainly for completeness; I don't track (heh heh) ichnotaxa
in my lists (yet), and neither is a nonavian dinosaur track anyway.

Finally, I have asterisked the genus Patricosaurus in the dinosaur list (and
also in MM #3 second printing) because a recent email by Mickey Mortimer
fails to find any clear dinosaurian characteristics in the Patricosaurus
material as described. Darren Naish notes in a separate email that a
redescription of the material is in progress by British paleontologists.