Re: Heilmann and furculas

Mickey Mortimer, Dr. Tom Holtz have discussed the issue well,
but I wish to add something:

  Yes, Osborn described the furcula of *Oviraptor* as an
interclavical, and if I was in his shoes, so may have I: an
interclavical in lepidosaurs and crocs is a Y or T-shaped
affair, having diverging ascending rami, and one caudal ramus
that extends sagittally between the coracoids and proximal or
between the sternal plates as well. The hypocleidium on the type
furcula for *Oviraptor* may easily lead one familiar with
classical reptiles to consider this an interclavicle. Thus
Heilmann, who may or may not have read the paper, would probably
have had no reason to support *Oviraptor* in this case.

=====
Jaime A. Headden