RE: WHAT are segnosaurs?

<<  Meanwhile, with some basal "prosauropods" outside of the
{*Plateosaurus* + *Saltasaurus*} clade, Sauropodomorpha get's a
little more interesting: the forms become increasingly more
"predatory" or "carnivorous," with longer, thinner and perhaps
recurved teeth, fully bipedal with smaller guts, larger heads,
longer lower legs, that the most basal sauropodomorphan was
probably quite "theropod" looking, as they get older or more
primitive. Now, Huene's original hypothesis was based on having
rauisuchid or theropod (?) skull material and teeth associated
with "prosauropod" postcrania, and possible other theropod
material, with *Aliwalia* being a notorious example of a
"predatory prosaruopod". When one looks at herrerasaurids and
thecodontosaurids together one sees that these two forms are
quite similar and that there is not that much variation that is
taking place between the two compared to, say, the
diplodocimorph/camarasauromorph split. What _has_ taken place,
apparently, is that one lineage has become omnivorous, trending
towards herbivory, and the other has stayed carnivorous. I would
suggest that "prosauropods" excluding the huge ones like
melanorosaurids, were still omnivores.<<

Hmm, I like this.

>>  Thus if we see basal prosauropods looking theropodan, there's
probably a good reason for this, due to the basal derivation
from predacous archosaurs like lagosuchids, etc. I haven't read
a whole lot of Huene's work, and wish I could, but he may have
very well stumbled onto this himself, but based on limited data,
may not have been able to elaborate so that his colleagues would
have gained from the insight. Huene has had, so far as I can
recall, one of the best track-records in paleontology.<<

Yea, he was on to a lot of things.

Tracy