Re: Sex (Jokes)

> Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:25:35 -0800 (PST)
> From: "K. Hunt" <hunt@u.washington.edu>
>
>   (c) male walks ahead of female, drops sperm packet on ground. Female
> comes along behind, sniffing the ground. When she finds the sperm packet
> (spermatophore) she lowers her vent and picks it up. (Salamanders.
> A very clever solution - internal fertilization without copulation!)

Aha!  Dino-Onanism!  At last, the true explanation for dinosaur
extinction: they all went blind.

Also --

> Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:35:58 -0500
> From: Graydon <graydon@dsl.ca>
>
> > I don't feel that their positions would have reached anything like
> > the dangerous vertical stance required for the genitalia to
> > meet. It was for this reason that in my illustration I put the
> > female with her head down and tail raised so that only the male
> > needed to attempt the tripod stance and there were no extra sets
> > of forelimbs to get in the way.
>
> That mechanism would work, too, although I wonder about how the tail
> _could_ go; there's a very rigid spinal column and an already very
> low stance in the forward part of the body; there isn't all that
> much _to_ lower the head and forelimbs.

Of course, one other possible cause of stegosaur extinction would be a
surfeit of "headaches" in the females ... you couldn't really blame
them, could you?  :-)

)_v__/\  "There are many elements to story-telling: style, characters,
         plot, ideas, etc.  Too many stories try to get by with only
         one of these" -- Rheal Nadeau.