Glypto-love (was RE: Stegosarus Sex (Jokes))

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Gavin Rymill
>
> Has anyone considered the similar problems that Ankylosaurids or
> Nodosaurids
> would have mating?
>
> They would appear to have all the related
> armour-getting-in-the-way problems
> but with an added rigidity which would make it harder to just
> swing the tail
> out of the way. Furthermore, all the acrobatic answers that have been put
> forward don't seem to suit these animals. I don't have any references, but
> would I be right in saying that the inference is that they never
> achieved a
> bipedal stance? Their cenre of gravity appears to be right in the
> middle of
> their torso. Having said that, so are elephants'.

Ankylosaurs, like most dinosaurs, seem to have more powerfully build
hindlimbs than forelimbs, so this could be to their advantage.

> Although less significant in the hind area, the hory armour
> doesn't seem to
> make things easy for a mounting male.

I am more impressed with the problems large glyptodonts had to go through.
At least ankylosaurs had relatively flat backs on which the male could...
er, rest.  Glyptodonts were walking DOMES!  They make ankylosaurs look like
masters of flexibilty.

Intriguingly, though, there have been some studies (by Farina?  Can't recall
the author) in the last few years suggesting that some glyptodonts could
concievably walk on just their hind legs.  Although I don't think bipedality
would have been in their daily routine, maybe the males would have to
support most of their weight on their hindlimbs while engaged in acts of
xenarthran passion?

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742