Re: Martian fossils (Martiobiota)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Kinman" <kinman@hotmail.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 12:11 AM
Subject: Martian fossils (Martiobiota)

> Dear All,
> Additional evidence has been published showing that Martian microbial
> life did exist on Mars long ago (who knows, they may still exist in its
> nooks and crannies).
> Although none of these fossils has been given a genus or species name
> (understandably), they can be classified in Cosmogenre Martiobiota (a name
> which I proposed in 1996 in Journal of MetaBioSystematics).
>     However, there is no reason to assume that they are genetically
related
> to Earth life (Cosmogenre Geobiota), their magnetotatic similarities being
> most likely convergent.  But I'm sure the "panspermia" believers will
think
> otherwise.  So it goes.  There is a link below for those interested in
> extraterrestrial fossils.
> ----Ken Kinman
> http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast28feb_1.htm

Magnetosomes are great evidence for life, I'd say, but not evidence against
contamination from Earth...
Anyway, though panspermia is too much to buy for me, it is very plausible
that Earth and Mars exchanged lots of rocks during heavy bombardment times,
so IMHO there is "reason to assume that they are genetically related to
Earth life" if THEY exist(ed).

Same problem here as with dinosaurs -- the old sayer "give me more
fossils!!!".

BTW, does anyone here know enough classical Greek to be able to tell me
whether it should be -biota or -bionta?

All we need is love, all we get is homework.
                    Common school wisdom