Postosuchus urine (was RE: well-lit dimosaurs)

> From: Ray Stanford [mailto:dinotracker@earthlink.net]
>
>     Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. responding to my latest post (Quoted in part,
> only.):
>
>  "Sure it [the T. rex statement in BBC's on-line article] stinks,
> but only a
> little stink; not the horrendous stench you might
> find in some other alleged "science" reports.
>
>     To that, I'll say, "Amen!  Preach on, brother!"

(I think I sounded more like my old self up there... :-).

>     Come to think of it, Tom, do you (or anyone else on list)
> have some idea
> of how the heck the BBC producers came up with a dinosaur producing mammal
> type urine and, furthermore, squirting it backward like some
> territory-marking tiger (or rhinoceros, for that matter)?  It is hard to
> imagine how that got into the production.  (Or, has this been covered on
> list, much earlier?)

I think we did cover it earlier, and I'm sure that Darren Naish discusses it
in his book.  However, in brief, it got in their because the consultants
were consulted before they decided the scene, and then afterwards after they
had spent their money on it.  Urgh...

And, just to clear things up, they don't show any dinosaurs whizzing like a
tiger: its the pseudosuchian _Postosuchus_ who does that.  The tiger
reference, incidentally, is right on the money.  Many scenes in WWD were
inspired by classic nature special footage (the _Liopleurodon_ eating the
_Eustreptospondylus_ after orca-sea lion scenes; the hatching _Diplodocus_
after hatching sea turtles; etc.).  Great concept, but not always accurate
in application.

>     May everyone have a fine weekend.

I echo those sentiments, and am outta here...  However, should anybody be
wandering in the exhibit areas of the AMNH this Sunday, feel free to say
"Hi".  (I'll have a particle cloud of undergrads around me).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite