Re: Postosuchus urine

Michael Skrepnick reported, and it is worth repeating:

    >On tonights airing of  "To Serve and Protect" on Fox, I watched a
segment
wherein a 6 foot Alligator was subdued in a residential backyard (probably
in Florida).  Once the gator's mouth had been suitably "duct taped" shut,
one of the law inforcement individuals lifted the animal up in order to
transport it off the property, only to have it expel the contents of it's
excretory system out through the cloaca in what might be termed two
"outbursts".  The first round soaked his captor's right arm while the
subsquent "volley" shot out sideways ( the animal was being carried on it's
side ) to a distance of at least 18 - 24 inches.  The content appeared to be
for the most part clear fluid, and although the volume of ejecta would not
be the equivalent to the outpouring viewed in the WWD Postosuchus segment
(even allowing for the size differential in both reptiles represented), it
still was interesting  in terms of visualizing how large extinct archosaurs
may have voided their systems.  As Adam Britton pointed out in an earlier
post perhaps the Postosuchus segment isn't as far removed from reality as
many might think.<

    Michael is, of course, in Canada, so for those in the U.S.A. who weren't
watching, I will point out that the program he mentions is called COPS,
here.  Indeed, those liquid emissions were quite impressive.  I got a kick
out of how intimidated the police officers were by three kinds of defensive
actions by the alligator: auditory (hissing), kinetic (tail and body
flipping), and evacuational (Is that a word?), as accurately described by
Michael.

    Finally, a possibly stupid-sounding question for any one who knows
adequately more about alligators than do I.  Is the (as seen on TV)
urination (expelling of urea suspended in water) a SPECIAL CASE situation
(i.e., occurring only as a defensive reaction when severely threatened), or
do alligators so urinate (liquid) routinely?

    Really, the question is asked seriously, because being from Texas, as a
child I witnessed what was then considered by scientists as only an 'old
wives tale' --  the now well-documented and scientifically described
squirting of drops of blood from the medial corner of the eye openings by a,
"horney toad" (as we then called them, but more accurately, a horned
lizard), when severely threatened.  This is certainly a SPECIAL CASE
occurrence, and not a routine or daily event.

    Thanks in advance for any well-founded answer(s).

    Ray Stanford