Re: Postosuchus urine

From: "Ray Stanford" <dinotracker@earthlink.net>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 1:53 AM

> Is the (as seen on TV)
> urination (expelling of urea suspended in water) a SPECIAL CASE situation
> (i.e., occurring only as a defensive reaction when severely threatened),
or
> do alligators so urinate (liquid) routinely?

It is as common as any animal ejecting urine under stress (eg. fighting,
being restrained) - in other words, I wouldn't describe it as a special case
situation.

Incidentally, it isn't urea suspended in water, but rather uric acid and
ammonia. Alligators are uricotelic as mentioned in a mutation of this
thread, although when sufficiently hydrated (ie. most of the time) it's
dissolved in water.

Cheers,

Adam Britton