Re: Mesozoic fossils in Southern Minnesota?

theclaw10@home.com writes:

<< Anyone know of any good spots in southern Minnesota for finding Mesozoic
 fossils...? >>

    This will make me homesick again...A great deal of Minnesota has
Cretaceous bedrock. Unfornuately, it's almost all blanketed by glacial
deposits. Leaves from the Dakota Fm can be found along some exposures along
the Minnesota River valley in SW Minnesota. Along the South Dakota/MN border
there are some fissure fillings of Turonian age from the Carlile Fm that
contain fish and marine reptiles. Remember those great old Burian and
Heilmann restorations of craggy islands rising from the Western Interior
Seaway? This was that place. Occasional shark teeth are found along the river
lakes bordering the states. See Barry Kazmer's excellent webpage about his
research here at: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/1189?
    An odd place for Cretaceous fossils is found up in the north country in
the old iron range. I'm not sure of the spelling, but the Colerane formation
has yielded more marine specimens (Turonian?) including a marine croc. The
fossils are found in spoil piles from material stripped off the iron bearing
rocks.
    I've heard of a dinosaur tooth popping up someplace. I finally wised up,
however and took the field course at SD Tech and found myself in heaven.
    _Minnesota Underfoot_ by Sansome and Sansome is a good field guide. Most
if not all of these places are on private land, however. Dan Varner.