GALTONIA THE FLOWER

Hi all.

I happened to be watching a TV programme about gardening last night
(err, right after watching The Empire Strikes Back of course) and I was
intrigued to discover that there is a small flowering plant called
_Galtonia_.

I cannot find any plant name database on the www (my usual port of
call is http://www.biosis.org.uk/triton/indexfm.htm) but assume that
this was named before _Galtonia_ Hunt and Lucas 1994. I think I
remember hearing that it's Ok for plant and animal taxa to bear the
same names but, even so, I thought this was interesting.

On the subject of dinosaur names, David Martill and I are mentioned in
association with _Misiakasaurus_ in the new ish of _Geoscientist_
(Mar. 2001, Vol. 11, 3, pp. 10-11). This is because of the taxon's
irreverent specific name and our earlier article on the same subject
('Dumbing down the Latin name: should it be halted?') - this article
was itself a response to a disapproving article by Bill Sarjeant. Sarjeant
had argued that names such as _Zigzagiceras_, _Arthurdactylus
conandoylei_, _Iyaiyai_, and _Godzillius_ marked declining standards.

I'm going to name my next dinosaur after Grimlock, the dinobot.
Shame he wasn't a decepticon.

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
Portsmouth UK                          tel (mobile): 0776 1372651
P01 3QL                                tel (office): 023 92842244