Re: GALTONIA THE FLOWER

forwarded to some more appropriate forums

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Mickey_Mortimer wrote:

> This is a bit off-topic, but if a plant and animal can have the same name,
> what about other organisms?  Where does the definition of "animal" and
> "plant" stop when it comes to nomenclature?  Could you hypothetically name a
> chondrocyte the same thing as a demosponge?  And what about fungi,
> eubacteria, archaea and viruses, not to mention the many unicellular
> eukaryotes?

So far as I know, the only codes governing organismal nomenclature are the
ICZN (International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature), the ICBN
(International Code of Botanical Nomenclature), and the Bacteriological
Code (International Code of Nomenclature of Bacteria). I know these govern
*at least* Animalia, Fungi + Plantae, and non-eukaryotan Biota,
respectively (and probably more). That's a good question -- who governs
organisms which don't fall in these categories?

Trying to remember if PhyloCode (which is supposed to govern all Biota)
covers the issue of duplicate names....

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>