Re: Attention Paleolife Artists

  >  I thought I'd put this on the list since so many list members are
effected or know an artist who's effected. There is an internet pirate in
Thailand who has ripped-off a number of websites of images of dinosaurs and
other prehistoric animals. Artists are not credited and copyright is being
claimed by the owner. A LOT of you are here. I give the page for
Tyrannosaurus, but there are a number of other categories listed--you'll
find
me on the mosasaur page. I SHOULD be paid quite a bit for this. Remember our
little copyright discussion? <

If he's in Thailand then things are tricky coz copyright law is different
depending on your geographical location, so I'm led to believe.

For the one of the best summaries of copyright law, this webpage is plain
and simple:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Things have changed a little because of the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act. If you happen to be able to understand the language of legal documents
then its here
http://www.eff.org/ip/DMCA/hr2281_dmca_law_19981020_pl105-304.html

>Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to how to make digital
images hard to copy? <

Sadly no because the image is digital in nature. Therefore any kind of
security that is placed into the file information can be circumnavigated
simply by using Photoshop or anything similar to "save a copy". It is then
devoid of all its original file info.

So even if you go to the lengths of completing all the author information
and everything, the actual image can be lifted and recreated.

The only software which has anything vaguely useful is Photoshop with its
digital watermark system but this does nothing to prevent the image being
copied or distributed. It helps prove it was yours in the first place but
nothing more.

The best thing to do is to make sure you can prove that you created the
image first and then take it to a civil court.

Gav

www.gavinrymill.com        ICQ: 33916140  /  AOLIM: ExtinctGav