RE: Only One Triceratops Species??

Martin H.  wrote in reply to me:

> yet.  Our Triceratops come from two different areas in the Hell Creek, and
> we find T. horridus in one area and T. prorsus in the other with little to
> no overlap between the two morphotypes.

I guess you have considered the possibility that say, youngish males split
off from the herd (as do elephants I believe, and some other mammals?

martinh

What is the evidence that Triceratops herded?  I have seen lots of
Edmontosaurus bonebeds, and plenty of Centrosaurine bonebeds, but to the
best of my knowledge there is but one chasmosaurine bonebed, that being
Chasmosaurus mariscalensis in Texas (See Lehman, 1989, JVP 9(2) p.
137-162).  The C. mariscalensis bonebed only had between 10 and 15
individuals, as compared to something like the Ruth Mason Quarry which has
up to 10000 Edmontosaurus.    I guess when I think of herd, I'm thinking at
least 25 individuals.   Most Chasmosaurines tend to be found as isolated
individuals, and I only found one published occurrence of more than 10.   I
haven't heard of any evidence for more than two Triceratops in the same
site, let alone 10.  There's a lot of specimens of Triceratops, but where
are the bonebeds?   If there aren't any, what is the evidence for herding?

Can anyone out there point out some references on Triceratops herding behavior?

Chris Ott
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Geology Museum
Department of Geology and Geophysics