From: Christopher Ott [mailto:cott@geology.wisc.edu]\par
Sent: mardi 6 mars 2001 18:29\par
To: dinosaur@usc.edu\par
Subject: RE: Only One Triceratops Species??\par
\par
Martin H.  wrote in reply to me:\par
\par
> yet.  Our Triceratops come from two different areas in the Hell Creek, and\par
> we find T. horridus in one area and T. prorsus in the other with little to\par
> no overlap between the two morphotypes.\par
\par
I guess you have considered the possibility that say, youngish males split\par
off from the herd (as do elephants I believe, and some other mammals?\par
\par
martinh\par
\par
\par
\par
What is the evidence that Triceratops herded?  I have seen lots of\par
Edmontosaurus bonebeds, and plenty of Centrosaurine bonebeds, but to the\par
best of my knowledge there is but one chasmosaurine bonebed, that being\par
Chasmosaurus mariscalensis in Texas (See Lehman, 1989, JVP 9(2) p.\par
137-162).  The C. mariscalensis bonebed only had between 10 and 15\par
individuals, as compared to something like the Ruth Mason Quarry which has\par
up to 10000 Edmontosaurus.    I guess when I think of herd, I'm thinking at\par
least 25 individuals.   Most Chasmosaurines tend to be found as isolated\par
individuals, and I only found one published occurrence of more than 10.   I\par
haven't heard of any evidence for more than two Triceratops in the same\par
site, let alone 10.  There's a lot of specimens of Triceratops, but where\par
are the bonebeds?   If there aren't any, what is the evidence for herding?\par
\par
Can anyone out there point out some references on Triceratops herding behavior?\par
\par
Chris Ott\par
University of Wisconsin-Madison\par
Geology Museum\par
Department of Geology and Geophysics\par
1215 W. Dayton St.\par
Madison, WI  53706\par
}