Presence of chasmosaurine bonebeds

-----Original Message-----
From: itokawa@fit.ac.jp <itokawa@fit.ac.jp>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Saturday, March 10, 2001 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: Triceratops and Psittacosaurus etc.

 Yoe Itokawa wrote:

>Now, to venture on a subject I am far less knowledgeable than any
>of you, someone wrote that all Ceratopian bonebeds discovered thus
>far are Centrosaurine and not Chasmosaurine.  According to a book
>I've read (by Prof. Phil Currie), it says that there have been
>discovered (not one but) two bonebeds of Anchiceratops in Alberta.
>Could someone clarify?

 Chasmosaurine bonebeds have been known for many years but most have
received less media or popular attention and are thus not well known to the
general public. The following chasmosaurine bonebeds immediately come to
mind:

1. A Chasmosaurus bonebed is known from Big Bend National Park in Texas,
USA.  Material from this site has been researched by Tom Lehman.
2. Charles W. Gilmore described a bonebed in Utah, USA that contained bones
that he believed were a new species of Arrhinoceratops, but are now
recognized as probably belonging Torosaurus.
 3. A Chasmosaurus bonebed apparently used to be present in Saskatchewan,
Canada but was covered when the valley was flooded by waters backed up by a
newly built dam.
 4. While I have not seen it, there is supposed to be one Anchiceratops
bonebed on the Red Deer River upstream from Drumheller, Alberta. Early
collectors Barnum Brown and Charles M. Sternberg mention this bonebed in
their fieldnotes.
 5. There may be some Triceratops bonebeds in the western USA but the
evidence is poor and thus I cannot substantiate these claims.

 There are a dozen or more other horned dinosaur bonebeds known across
Alberta but they are all centrosaurines, referrable to Centrosaurus,
Styracosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus and one or two new species/taxa. Some
people believe there is a Chasmosaurus bonebed in Dinosaur Provincial Park,
Alberta, but I have done extensive fieldwork there since 1979 and I have
never seen one.

 Trust this helps.

Darren Tanke, Technician I
Dinosaur Research Program
Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology
Drumheller, AB, Canada
                   and
Senior Editor, Paleopathology and Recent
Dento-Osteopathology Bibliography; see homepage
at:  http://dns.magtech.ab.ca/dtanke