Re: ABSRD BAND on Sinornithosaurus feathers

Dear Fiber-Optic Squad! (I *LIKE* it!)

At 3:08 PM -0500 3/15/01, Jeff Hecht wrote:
Les Eastman wrote:
And Polar Bears. Aren't their hairs hollow to channel sunlight to the
black skin.

Polar bear hairs are hollow, but they do not channel sunlight to the bear's skin, and are most emphatically NOT optical fibers, despite published reports to the contrary. I know this is not dinosaur-related, but I want to squash this bit of misinformation.

You have to tell what they ARE for! Not fair!

How about:
Hollow hairs found on animals that live in polar regions help to insulate the body - if I am not entirely mistaken. But then, I might be. So what! ;^)

MDW - grew up in the "Lake Effect Snowbelt"
--
                        =00=  =00=  =00=  =00=
                        Marilyn D. Wegweiser, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Geology
Department of Geology                   mdwegweiser@bsu.edu
Ball State University                   Office: 765-285-8268;765-285-8270
Muncie, Indiana 47306                   FAX:    765-285-8265