Re: ABSRD BAND on Sinornithosaurus feathers

In a message dated 3/15/01 3:33:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mdwegweiser@bsuvc.bsu.edu writes about polar bear hairs:

<< You have to tell what they ARE for! Not fair!

 How about:
 Hollow hairs found on animals that live in polar regions help to
 insulate the body - if I am not entirely mistaken. But then, I might
 be. So what! ;^)

 MDW - grew up in the "Lake Effect Snowbelt" >>

 How about:
 Buoyancy. Polar bears spend a great deal of time swimming in the arctic seas
in pursuit of seals.

  DV - grew up in Minnesota where winter is not an "effect".