Re: Adaptive advantage (was Re: ABSRD BAND on Sinornithosaurus feathers)

At 11:33 PM 15/03/01 -0600, Tim Williams wrote:
To answer this question another way: birds. Birds often sit in trees watching for prey below - then swoop. The early bird may catch the worm not by stomping around the ground, but by keeping an eye out from the vantage point of a comfy tree branch.

Not really a good model for dinosaurs. First of all, all of these are birds that can fly, and their technique is to stay in one spot, fly down to sieze an item, then fly back up to the same perch (that's why they are called "sit-and-wait" predators). The birds that do this are normally fairly short-legged. The closest arboreal equivalents to an arboreal theropod (non-avian), I expect, would be long-legged birds thta get about by leaping from branch to branch or running along large limbs (eg birds of paradise, guans etc.)

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court