Re: ABSRD BAND on Sinornithosaurus feathers

After a week full of work I had only time today to read carefully a posting
of Ken Kinmen dated 03/15/2001. He quoted "a posting by a very vocal (but
anonymous) member of that group (from sci.bio.paleontology):".

> I would say that the authors have not succeeded in showing that
Sinorithosaurus
> has feathers. Unlike what Jones et al. did with Longisquama feathers, Xu et
al.
> have not shown that Sinornithosaurus' integumentary structures have a
hollow core,
> a calamus, or pulp caps. They have not shown that these structures are
follicular in origin.

Basic law here: ABSRD proponents are right and everybody else is wrong.
Variation of this: Cite one character which shows that ABSRD is correct,
because it shows that theropods can't be
ancestors of birds.

> It is also much easier to evolve the intricate interlocking barbules of
avian feathers
> from a solid sheet (in other words from the type of feathers
> with solid vanes found in Longisquama) through a process of weight
reduction
> than it is to build the vane up from a clump of loose filaments.

That's surely the way they make wire netting and woolen pullovers today.

If you take a look at the design of feathers they grow somehow like "grow
longer, branch, grow longer, branch, grow longer". Starting with a single
follicle and controlling the timing/parameters of these steps you can get
many different types of feathers.

> Insects, bats and pterosaurs fly with membrane wings, so a solid sheet is
the norm
> for wings; bird wings are also functionally solid sheets.

Is this the so called "orthodox view" meaning I mustn't proof it, but you
have to refute it?

> It is therefore foolhardy to fly with wings made from interelocking
filaments,
> not knowing a priori whether the interlocking structures are strong enough
> or structurally sound enough to serve functionally as wings.

Yes, no intermediate designs allowed. So our ancestors should never have
tried to walk on two legs not knowing if it would work and what about the
transition of life onto land?

> Lastly, Sinornithosaurus simply lived too late to have anything to do with
> feather origins.

So let's forget about todays birds, they live even later than
Sinornithosaurus.

Cheers

Heinz Peter Bredow