Re: New Jurassic Park 3 Shot

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd Marshall" <todd@sunstorm.net>
To: "dinosaur" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: New Jurassic Park 3 Shot

>...This is Not the T-Rex! This IS
the spinosaur! You can even see the sail behind the head on the right in the
photo.<

    I am not so sure the thing on the right side of the head is part of an
extended 'spine' (seems very misplaced if it is) of a Spinosaurus.  Also,
the muzzle shown is so wide as to make the 'restoration' look ridiculous if
it is put forward as representing a Spinosaurus of any kind.  Again, if the
thing shown is intended to represent Spinosaurus, then the snout is really
funny, because, for example, Suchomimus tenerensis' (rumored to have
inspired the JP3 star dino) snout is quite bizarre in its most remarkable
narrowness.  In fact Suchomimus' muzzle was so narrow as to virtually
convince me (quite aside from the shape of its teeth) that it was almost
exclusively a fish eater (except maybe when a fish supply was very sparse,
and maybe then it became a scavenger).

    I doubt movie actors would appeal to Suchomimus (at least), unless it
were very, very hungry.  :)

    Ray Stanford

-TM
www.marshalls-art.com