Bashunosaurus

Thanks to the Polyglot Paleontologist website (www.uhmc.sunysb.edu/anatomicalsci.paleo), I have been able to peruse the description of the sauropod _Abrosaurus dongpoensis_ translated by Will Downs. No figures, alas.

The reference:

Ouyang Hui (1998). A new sauropod from Dashanpu, Zigong Co., Sichuan Province (_Abrosaurus dongpoensis_ gen. et sp. nov.). Zigong Dinosaur Museum Newsletter 2:10-14.

Ouyang Hui refers _Abrosaurus_ to the Camarasauridae. Based on the text alone, it's difficult to pin down its affinities. The enlarged narial openings is not just a macronarian character, having also been found in _Jobaria_. The author points out several primitive prosauropod-like characters. Anyway, my knowledge of the cranial anatomy of sauropods is awful, so I'll hold off on further musing.

Interestingly, the description mentions a new sauropod genus, Bashunosaurus, from the same Dashanpu quarry: "Another sauropod genus from the Dashanpu quarry, Bashunosaurus, is represented by a damaged skull. However, after restoration, it appears to be generally consistent with Omeisaurus although its maxillary morphology is more consistent with Shunosaurus, it lacks a mandibular fenestra and has an even more reduced dentition, distinguishing it further from _Abrosaurus_."

I would hazard a guess that "Bashunosaurus" is still a nomen dubium; but after the kafuffle surrounding the status of _Abrosaurus_, maybe the description is lurking in some obscure Chinese pamphlet or newsletter.

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall