Re: Big Dinosaur Prints Found

Probably just used to sound "more" scientific. I've never heard it used. But I AM glad to see that archaeologists are taking time out of their busy schedules to dig up fossils once again...

 > Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:21:47 -0800
 > From: "Don Lamson" <dllamson@qwest.net>
 >
 > http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/20/science/20DINO.html

... or http://channel.nytimes.com/2001/03/20/science/20DINO.html
if you prefer to skip the step of registering a vacuous one-time
account with made-up personal details :-)

The last paragraph of the article says --

        Experts think the footprints were left mainly by a group of
        phytophagous dinosaurs followed by a few carnivorous ones, the
        news agency said.

So -- phytophagous.  Obviously means plant-eating ("phyto" as in
"phytodinosauria", "phagous" as in "saurophaganax") but how does it
differ from "herbivorous"?

)_v__/\  "I'm Invincible!" / "You're a loony ..." -- Monty Python.

Carl Mehling National Center for Science Literacy, Education and Technology American Museum of Natural History Central Park West @79th Street New York, N.Y. 10024 (212) 769-5849