Re: ABSRD BAND on Sinornithosaurus feathers

In a message dated 3/20/01 12:44:48 PM EST, TomHopp writes:

<< Nope. Just because it's small doesn't make it simple. >>

I said >could have occurred<, not >did occur<. But if as you say >all< body
functions are controlled by complex sets of genes in complicated interrelated
ways, then mutations would >never< be beneficial and evolution would not
happen. It would be >extremely< unlikely (we're talking 1/googolplex
probabilities here) for a complex suite of mutations to happen all at once
and also to be beneficial to the organism. There must be times, now and then,
when a single mutation produces a benefit to the organism despite the
complexity of all its genomic interrelationships etc., etc. I'm not saying
that the appearance of peach fuzz was such (some heavy genome analysis might
show this to be the case), but it could have been, and if so, it would have
simply opened up another pathway for sulfate to find its way out of the body
and was thus beneficial to the animal.