RE: Megalancosaurus, Longisquama & other oddballs

> Thomas Holtz wrote:
> >Sad to say, it will not be out during 2001.  (One of his big tasks this
> >summer is to get a publishable version done).
> >
>        I take it Merck's paper will a major in-depth analysis for
> archosauromorphs, comparable to Sereno's 1991 Memoir on Basal
> Archosaurs.
> Is he considering possibly including turtles in his analysis?

Yes to both.  (Yes it is very in depth; yes, he runs the analysis with and
without turtles to see where they fit if they are diapsids).

> >Where the problem does seem to lie is with pterosaurs, as the
> evidence does
> >seem to be mounting for a more primitive archosauriform position
> for those
> >guys.
> >
>        Don't you mean a more primitive "archosauromorph" position?  And
> either way, the question is whether taxon Ornithodira will be
> abandoned or
> will become much more inclusive (perhaps more so than Archosauriformes).

Yeah, I mean't archosauromorph.  And, quite frankly, the evolutionary story
is vastly more interesting than the taxonomic issue (although you are
correct as to the expanded context of Ornithodira).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite