Re: Megalancosaurus, Longisquama & other oddballs

In a message dated 3/18/01 6:30:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tmk@dinosauricon.com writes:

> _Pseudosuchia_ == Clade(_Crocodylus_ <-- _Passer_, _Iguanodon_,
> _Megalosaurus_)
>
>  _Avemetatarsalia_ == Clade(_Passer_ + _Iguanodon_ <-- _Crocodylus_)

As has already been pointed out, Pseudosuchia should be discarded in favor of
Crocodylotarsi.

For the sister taxon, I would recommend Ornithotarsi, which has the
advantages of being both more consistent and less cumbersome and which is
actually equivalent to "Avemetatarsalia", since "flat of the foot,
metatarsus" is one meaning of Greek "tarsos".

--Nick P.