Re: Megalancosaurus, Longisquama & other oddballs

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 NJPharris@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/18/01 6:30:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> tmk@dinosauricon.com writes:
>
> > _Pterosauromorpha_ == Clade(_Pterodactylus_ <-- _Iguanodon_)
>
> Better make this Clade(_Pterodactylus_ <-- _Iguanodon_, _Megalosaurus_),
> since it has been suggested in the past that pterosaurs are closer to
> theropods than to ornithischians.

Really!? Well, why not? It fits the original definition of "all organisms
sharing more recent ancestry with Pterosauria than with Dinosauria"
better, anyway. (Since _Dinosauria_ can be defined as Clade(_Iguanodon_ +
_Megalosaurus_).)

BTW, I've read that somebody (I think it was Sereno) defined _Pterosauria_
as a node-based clade anchored on about a dozen genera. Does anyone know
what those genera are?

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>