   Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:00:46 -0800 (PST)
   From: "T. Lepore" <raptortalon2@yahoo.com>
   Subject: Re: Anatomical terminology
   To: david.marjanovic@gmx.at
   Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu

   - --- David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
   > Just interesting why the analogous features of frogs and birds are
   > called urostyle and pygostyle.

   Yeah...
   It has something to do with the order in which the
   skeletal systems were named, if I'm not
   mistaken..humans first, then animals got more general
   names, like the cheekbone (os zygoma) in humans, which
   is just the zygoma in mammals, which is the jugal in
   dinosaurs.  To give credit where it is due, there's
   information on this in _The Complete Dinosaur_ in
   chapter 7, "The Osteology of the Dinosaurs" (written
   by the venerable Thomas Holtz, Jr., and M.K.
   Brett-Surman--thanks for the indirectly-given info if
   either of you read this :))
   It's interesting that there are such (rare) name
   changes of analogous structures amongst animals,
   though.  All that Latin and Greek put to good use...

   -Taormina Lepore

Mickey Rowe     (rowe@psych.ucsb.edu)