From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
To: PhyloCode@ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu, dinosaur@usc.edu
CC: NJPharris@aol.com, tmk@dinosauricon.com
Subject: Re: Megalancosaurus, Longisquama & other oddballs
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:48:37 -0800 (PST)

Nick Pharris (NJPharris@aol.com) wrote:

<As has already been pointed out, Pseudosuchia should be
discarded in favor of Crocodylotarsi.>

  While essentially this might be a good way to sit down and
expressely evaluate the "appropriateness" of certain archosaur
taxonomy, and I could say pleasently I'd like not to have to
deal with Pseudosuchians and Ornithosuchians, which no longer
pertain to their original content, this is based on the
definition, and one should strive to correct definition with
original intent, if the usage was foolish.

  The usage of Ornithosuchia can be limited to all taxa closer
to *Ornithosuchus* than to either *Crocodylus* and *Passer.*
Pseudosuchia can then be established as non-crocodyliform
suchians, as originally used, and thus may be useful as only a
paraphyletic assemblage.

  From there, one might want to consider 1) priority of usage,
and 2) established literature and usage therein. How many papers
have used the non-eponymous Ornithosuchia (phylogenetic usage)
compared to the relevent lit on eponymous Ornithosuchia?

  More later,

===== Jaime A. Headden