Re: Dinosaur Books and Movies

From: <Buckaroobwana@aol.com>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 7:57 AM

> Does this mean that every Daffy Duck cartoon ever made also qualifies as a
> dinosaur flick?

By that same token (with the same pinch of humour), doesn't Honey I Blew up
the Kids qualify as a King Kong movie?

> Seriously though, what anatomical features qualify a candidate for bird
> status? Where do dinosaurs end and birds begin? I remember GSP pointing
out
> that there are no great anatomical differences, but what minor ones exist
> define Aves?

I don't think anatomical similarities are the only criteria that should be
used to decide whether birds are dinosaurs, otherwise we'd be chimpanzees.
Presumably you can use temporal (as opposed to geographical) isolation to
argue that Aves is now likely to be suitably differentiated from dinos.

Actually, I can see a potential hole in my argument already.

Adam