Re: Big Dinosaur Prints Found

Demetrios M. Vital wrote-

> My professor points out that ornithomimids are found in the northern
> hemisphere only (which I question-isn't there a South American
> ornithomimid?).  His speculation is that ratites and ornithomimids held
the
> same niches in opposite hemispheres.

You're right, an Argentinian ornithomimosaur has been reported-
undescribed Ornithomimosaurian (Novas, Cladera and Puerta 1996)
Turonian-Coniacian, LC
Rio Neuquen Formation, Argentina
material- proximal humerus
description- ball-shaped articular head, shallow deltopectoral crest
reference- Novas, Cladera and Puerta, 1996. New theropods from the Late
Cretaceous of Patagonia. JVP 16(3) 56A

However, Masiakasaurus shows that noasaurids had similar humeri, so I'd wait
until the humerus is described before coming to any conclusions.
Ornithomimids have also been reported from the Lameta Formation of India (as
seen in the stratigraphy section of The Dinosauria), but I'm weary of these
reports and lack original references.  After all, the Lameta abelisaurid
vertebrae named Ornithomimoides were originally referred to the
Ornithomimidae.  A better case for Gondwanan ornithomimids can be made for
Timimus, from the Albian of Australia.  Regarding the Laurasian presence of
ornithomimosaurs, it's interesting to note only early taxa are known from
Europe (Pelecanimimus- Barremian of Spain; unnamed taxon- Kimmeridgian of
England).  All ornithomimids from other continents occur later in the
Cretaceous.  Strange.

Mickey Mortimer