Re: dinosaur hip mechanics (was Re: Big Dinosaur Print)

-----Original Message-----
From: Demetrios M. Vital <vita0015@tc.umn.edu>
To: mbonnan@hotmail.com <mbonnan@hotmail.com>; dinosaur@usc.edu
<dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Thursday, March 22, 2001 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: dinosaur hip mechanics (was Re: Big Dinosaur Print)

>> Furthermore, as Greg Paul and others have pointed out, rocking the body
>into
>> a more vertical position would have strained the pelvic musculature,
>Why can't the dinosaur just be drgging its tail, drooping it, not raising
>its whole body?
>
>-Demetrios

I remember reading somewhere,....about the museum mounts of Tyrannosaurs,
and that there were two "stable"  positions related to the hip structure in
which to orient the backbone of the animal. One was the older more vertical
pose, and the other was the more "up to date" horozontal position. I have
also seen birds run along the ground with their bodies horozontal, only to
come to a stop and rotate up into a more vertical stance to survey the area.

How long was the tail drag fossil? Was it continuous? Could it have been a
result of the animal periodically resting on it`s tail to survey it`s
enviornment?