From: Ken Kinman <kinman@hotmail.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2001 3:36 PM
Subject: ptero-"oxpeckers"??

      Has anyone ever suggested the possibility of an oxpecker-like
pterosaur, eating insects off the backs of dinosaurs?
      I can easily imagine that dinosaurs would have welcomed oxpecker-like
birds cleaning their skin of parasites, but I wonder if an insectivorous
pterosaur might have ever evolved to fill a similar niche.  Wouldn't
procumbent teeth work well for feeding on skin parasites?  Just a thought.
                            -----Ken

Ken,

I was able to get to the book of WWD and the pterosaur on _Diplodocus_
eating insects was _Anuognathus_. I doubt that there is any scientific
evidence that the pterosaur actually did that.

Thanks,

Jim Hower
jimaytch@onemain.com
Sue-the "It" T-rex