Re: tendons vs. ligaments

Dear all:

I unserstand tendons to attach muscle to bone, and ligaments to attach bone to bone.  Why, then, are the ossified tissues binding iganodonts' tails, for example, called "bony tendons" in paleontological works, when they clearly connect bone to bone?  This error (or is it?) is made in many paleontological works, and is fairly consistent.  My question is this: is the entirety of the published paleontological community mistaken as to what a ligament is and what a tendon is?  Also, is there any fundamental structural difference between tendons and ligaments besides their attachment sites?

Thanks, Demetrios Vital