From: "Larry Febo" <larryf@capital.net>
To: "Richard Pearce" <tpearce@cix.co.uk>, <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Ptero-hawks?
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 09:25:30 -0500

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Pearce <tpearce@cix.co.uk> To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu> Date: Friday, March 23, 2001 9:58 AM Subject: Ptero-hawks?

>Hi all,
>
>Is there any evidence, published or unpublished, that lends credence to
>pterosaur-on-pterosaur predation? The idea of a pterosaurian equivalent of a
>peregrine or sparrowhawk is very appealing, but is it at all possible - and
>if not, why not?
>
>Regards,
>
>Richard

No direct evidence (that I am aware of), ...but I don`t see why not. If not
a "specialized" feeder of other pterosaurs, then certainly an occasional
meal. If the majority were fish eaters with those long pointed teeth, then I
can`t see why a larger one wouldn`t just pounce on a smaller one,...perhaps
a different species. Those filter-feeder type pterosaurs, (Ctenochasma,
Gnathosaurus) might make likely prey candidates, especially the smaller
juveniles.