Re: Ornithomimids and Ratites (was Re: Big Dinosaur Prints Found)

In a message dated 3/23/01 11:15:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com writes:

<< I don't know if this has been published or not (I heard it word-of-mouth),
 but _Timimus hermani_ (Dinosaur Cove, Victoria; Aptian) is now regarded as
 Theropoda _incertae sedis_.  I know Pat and Tom Rich originally described
 _Timimus_ as an ornithomimosaur, based on the slender proportions of the
 femora.  It *might* be an ornithomimosaur, it's just that based on the
 available material (two femora), there is not enough evidence to warrant
 such a referral.  I'm not even sure if _Timimus_ can be confidently regarded
 as a coelurosaur, since the femur also bears an uncanny resemblance to that
 of _Elaphrosaurus_.

 Interestingly, other putative ornithomimosaur material (ungual, pubis,
 vertebrae) is known from this part of Australia, of about the same age. >>

    Of interest is to note that "Dinosaurs of Darkness", a touring exhibition
organized by the Rich's, has just made its US debut at the South Dakota
School of Mines and Technology in Rapid City. For more information go to:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/archives/index.inn?loc=detail&doc=/2001/March/

16-857-news01.txt
    DV