RE: Hominidae expanded!?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> I'm somewhat up on higher primate systematics, so here is my understanding
> of the situation:
> Most authors have argued for two families within the great apes, Pongidae
> and Hominidae.  As the evidence points strongly to _Pan_ and _Gorilla_ as
> being closer to _Homo_ than to _Pongo_, keeping this taxa monophyletic AND
> retaining only the traditional names requires Hominidae being used for all
> the African great apes, including us.

It's kind of weird when this question gets answered faster on the Dinosaur
Mailing List than on sci.anthropology.paleo, where people are too busy
discussing aquatic apes and petrified sasquatches... This is one great
forum.

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>