Hominidae revised (new classification)

Mike and Tom, If Ardipithecus is closer to Pan, then I would simply alter the traditional classification as follows: Pongidae 1 Pongo 2 Gorilla 3A Ardipithecus 3B Pan 4 {{Hominidae}} Hominidae 1 Orrorin 2 Australopithecus _a_ Homo I don't know off the top of my head exactly where the other extinct Pongid genera would go. Sivapithecus with Pongo? Dryopithecine genera with Gorilla? I think their relationships are still pretty controversial. ------Ken ********************************************************
From: "T. Mike Keesey" <tmk@dinosauricon.com>
Subject: RE: Hominidae expanded!?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:54:30 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> I'm somewhat up on higher primate systematics, so here is my
understanding
> of the situation:
> Most authors have argued for two families within the great apes,
Pongidae
> and Hominidae.  As the evidence points strongly to _Pan_ and _Gorilla_
as
> being closer to _Homo_ than to _Pongo_, keeping this taxa monophyletic
AND
> retaining only the traditional names requires Hominidae being used for
all
> the African great apes, including us.

It's kind of weird when this question gets answered faster on the Dinosaur
Mailing List than on sci.anthropology.paleo, where people are too busy
discussing aquatic apes and petrified sasquatches... This is one great
forum.

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>