Re: Hominidae revised (new classification) and Re: Dumb Names

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, T. Mike Keesey wrote:
> [...]
> (and where does _Kenyapithecus_ go? _Proconsul_? Any I've left out?)

That's "Kenyanthropus"; I thought it was kenyapithecus too.

The Nature articles are at

  http://www.nature.com/nature/links/010322/010322-1.html

(text and pdf) with popular press accounts at

 http://www.tamu.edu/anthropology/news.html

As to where it goes:

 http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v410/n6827/fig_tab/410419a0_F2.html

is a graphic showing the relationships. platyops looks like the precursor
to rudolfensis (then to habilis or ergaster), which seems to be in and out
of homo...

> PLEASE let us know if this is getting too off-topic!!

I think that point was reached a long time ago!

Rich