Re: [Re: A question about Feduccia's claim of convergence]

At 13.54 26/03/01 -0500, you wrote:
>On 26 Mar 2001 archosaur@usa.net wrote:

 among
>> today's extant reptilian fauna _Chlamydosaurus kingii_ is considered an
>> obligate biped as well.
>
>_Chlamydosaurus_ *never* moves on all fours? I find that hard to
>believe....

According to Shine & Lambeck 1989 nice paper,
Chlamydosaurus is primarily arboreal, and clungs high  in the canopy, but
uses bipedal locomotion during routine foraging. These lizards are sit and
wait predators descending from their arboreal vantage points to run
bipedally at preys (larvae and other insects). The authors point out that
terrestrial locomotion by both sexes even at relatively low speed is
primarily bipedal. They (the lizards, not the authors) are not obligate
biped, however, and  occasionally they adopt a quadrupedal posture for very
short traits (prey very close to the base of the tree) or for display.
For those who want to know more, the full reference is:

Shine R. and Lambeck R. (1989) Ecology of the Frillneck Lizards
_Chlamydosaurus kingii_ (Agamidae), in Tropical Australia
Australian Wildlife Research 16, 491-500.

Cheers,

                                Silvio Renesto

-

"Before being enlightened,   hard work; after enlightenment, hard work"
(Guo Yunshen).

Dr. Silvio Renesto
Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra
Università degli Studi di Milano