From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Tim Williams
Sent: Wednesday, 28 March 2001 8:23 AM
To: mdwegweiser@bsuvc.bsu.edu; dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: The Lizard of Oz

>Things fall out of trees all the time today.Depending on the
>cohesivenss of the landing point, the splatter mark could make a
>lovely trace fossil. ;^)

Ah, but if the falling critter had draggy-feathery-things on its arms it
might help slow its fall, and thereby avoid ending its life as a splatter
mark.

I'm not suggesting that the proto-bird leaped from the top of a Californian
Redwood.  Three or four meters off the ground is probably adequate.

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall