Re: Feathers for S excretion

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Steve  Brusatte wrote:

> Erm...this may be pressing it.  As far as I understand, hair evolved
> from sensory bristles in early mammals.

As I understand it, the earliest evidence for hair in _Synapsida_ is
supposed whisker pits in basal _Cynodontia_. This doesn't mean that hair
evolved from sensory bristles -- it could easily be the other way around,
since senory bristles are one of the few types of hair that leave skeletal
indicators. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

T. MICHAEL KEESEY
     AOL Instant Messenger   <Ric Blayze>
      ICQ                     <77314901>
       Yahoo! Messenger        <Mighty Odinn>